Re: [LUG] Im moving back to windows

it's the OS's fault because you not only have to do that for one program, you have to do it for just about everything that isn't covered by synaptic, or whatever bundle of stuff is flying around at the time of release. Every time something non-standard needed to be installed, go extract an archive, jump into the command line and cd your way over to the installer to run it, it shouldn't be this way. There may be merits to this method, like being able to change the installer before it has gone about it's work, but to do that is too hard for the average/almost average user. Make me a linux that does have limits as to what the user can do, therefore making it relatively simple, and bam the market could be yours. But no, so long as any faffing around with gubbins you shouldn't really see has to be done, Windows will always be superior for your average moron.

When windows fails (gfx driver wise), reboot into safe mode, where the built in drivers kick in, and go re-install your driver. Sure it doesn't save your work but it sure as heck doesn't dump you into the command line, from which i'm guessing many average users would give up and reboot anyway.

As for responses advising better routes, too late now, but at least the problem is fixed for future users.

While it is also true that windows is not always simple, generally a smart choice can be made, "do I trust microsoft, or the people who made the thing in the first place?". I also get the feeling that updates can be disabled entirely, which while being somewhat unadvisable, is as most will admit generally best as MS have been proven to be bright enough to code a few millions lines of OS, but not to fully understand a user. Being a pirate I wouldn't fully know, all I know is tinyxp has MS updates disabled, makes life a lot happier.