Re: [LUG] irc

On Fri, 29 May 2009, Simon Waters wrote:

> Some folk here choose to make things hard for themselves, by shunning
> tools designed to make it easier for them, but that is their choice it
> certainly isn't the default on Debian or Ubuntu, and they may well have
> good reasons for their choice (heck I manually mount all sorts of stuff
> myself under KDE because I like the detailed control).

You probably mean me here :)

I'm glad I have a choice because I have yet to find something I like that
works for me - other than what I'm using now.

However what I'm using now - FVWM - I first used in 1994. It was brand-new
then, just out of the box and I was running on a shiny new Tektronix X
terminal - 1280x1024 and 16-bit colour - wow! (for 1994!)

Before that it was X and twm or olwm, or olvwm on Suns (and dumb
x-terminals) and before that 'xview' on Suns and before that glass
teletypes on various boxes from PDP11s to CP/M systems, and before that
real live thundering KSR 33's ...

So I've had the same window manager under X for the past 15 years. I've
had the same screen layout too - mostly the same config file. Maybe I'm
just boring ;-)

The newest change I made to it was adding a "shade" button to the top-bar
when fvwm2 came along...

I can't get along with too many colours - colour ls is bad, as are syntax
highlighter editors. (my terminal background colour is pale yellow with
black text to help with my dyslexia) Vi (now vim) is editor of choice,
despite spending a long time with microEmacs and the full emacs many years
back when I ported them to a new 'unix-like' system we were building... I
still use pine for email...

I'm trying to get into something new with the laptops - I've put xfce4 on
them and left in the hotplug stuff. Wifey gets on OK with it, and the xfce
file manager - which does seem to "just work" when she plugs in a USB
stick too - but her background is Windoze. I'm slowly learning, but I
can't (yet) change virtual windows easily enough, nor pop-up xterms fast
enough yet. One day I'll work out the menu system too...

But for me, FVWM works. I have many Xterms open in many virtual screens. I
can keyboard flick between them very quickly, and I really do not think
I'm making life hard for myself. Rather the opposite - it's very easy for
me to see what I'm doing very quickly.

I'm not a media whore - my workstation is that - a place to work. I have a
few of my own CDs online and I recently had to change media player, but
that was OK. I don't listen to music that often anyway. If I want to watch
TV or play a DVD, I do it on the TV and DVD player.. I play Doom
occasionally :)

I plug my camera or a USB stick in occasionally, so having to type in a
mount command is nether here nor there. It just works.

I do hate wastage though, so having processed running doing effectively
nothing, just to be woken up once a month grates a little - OK, so I'll
not miss the memory or cycles, but that's just the way I got into all this
(learning just what I could squeeze into 128 bytes..  kids of today, etc.
;-)

So call me a grumpy old man by all means, but it's the way I work and I'm
happy...

Gordon