Re: [LUG] irc

> I'm guessing most home users will find the gnome-volume-manager
> sufficent. Now ask about fusermount, and sshfs ;)
>
>  Simon

I think this is a perfect example of where Linux fails in a way,  in
windows there is 1 method that works in the background, and for the most
part this seems to work properly just as it does in Linux when its a
nice clearn disro. Other people have said the same thing about sound and
other issues where there are several methods of doing something.

Under linux distributions there are conflicting methods,  conflicting
ideas as to which is the best, so a simple question on why is this not
working properly turns in to a debate that X method is crap use
something else.  almost as bad as emacs vs vi,  or kde vs gnome.

What is needed in the community is a consensus,  of what method is going
to be used and stick to it. OK ubuntu could use gnome-volume-manager,
kubuntu can use what ever the equivelent is in kde,  what happens is
that a user installs kde on top of gnome using the apt-get install
kubuntu-desktop (or whatever the command is),  and that i think is where
the problems start.

For some reason if I plug a device in to a hub, it mounts fine,  must be
something to do with device reference points and how everything fits
together.

I think something as simple as plugging in a device and having it mount
so a user can write to it,  is pretty simple and should simply work,
most users won't put up with this and will go straight back to windows
never to look at Linux distros again.  I will keep a nice hub dangling
out of my usb socket for a while longer to keep the mounting system happy.

I understand the need for choice, but if the desire for choice
compromises the system then there is an issue.

Perhaps if we manage to get a venue sorted out someone can explain
fusermount, sshfs, and the other methods.  as there has to be situations
where the others are more appropriate.

Paul

Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Next Linux User Group meet :Saturday ** June 6th ** : 3pm,  Shoreline
Cafe Paignton