Re: [LUG] Thunderbird (SOLVED)

alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Julian Hall wrote:
>> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>>> I am using IMAP by the way.
>>>
>>> Do I have to delete the account on TB and start again or is there an
>>> easier way please?
>>>

>> My university account allowed IMAP and occasionally I had the same
>> trouble - also using TB.  Normally it was their end, in that they'd told
>> me the email server name had changed, but neglected to mention they'd
>> enabled SSL.. or something equally stupid.  I also had several occasions
>> where the main mail server had crashed and when it came back up they
>> forgot to reset the IMAP server as well - giving exactly the symptoms
>> you're having, ie ability to logon through the web but not IMAP.  I
>> would ask your ISP if they have;
>>
>> a) Rebooted the mail server, but omitted the IMAP server?  I doubt
>> you'll get an honest 'whoops!' but it may mysteriously start working :)
>> b) Enabled/disabled SSL?
>> c) Changed the username format?
>> d) Erased/changed your individual account password - even if in error?
>>
>> e) If none of the above ask them to log in to your account *via IMAP*
>> themselves - if they can ask them to detail the EXACT settings they
>> used; if they can't ask them to fix it).
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Julian

Thanks to all who have replied to this. Along the way I have learnt some
more about Thunderbird.

I eventually found the answer to my problem. My ISP, with my permission,
has moved me, along with most/all of his clients, to a new, more
powerful, server. Apparently, this often causes problems with the
transfer of emails if the new system set up is not quite the same as the
old one. So I have lost all my old emails. Since I use IMAP they were
all on my web site. All I have now are those emails which arrived after
the change over. I can live with that.

And there *was* a slight difference. On the old system my user name was
just my name, neil. The new system requires the user name to be the
actual email address, that is neil@address.  I made this slight change
and it all now works. I had to add some sub folders and re-enable a
couple of filters, but that was easy.

The may be useful to others on the list if they get moved across to a
new server at any time.

Thanks again to all who replied

Neil Winchurst