Re: [LUG] Thunderbird

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I am using IMAP by the way.
>
> Do I have to delete the account on TB and start again or is there an
> easier way please?

My university account allowed IMAP and occasionally I had the same
trouble - also using TB.  Normally it was their end, in that they'd told
me the email server name had changed, but neglected to mention they'd
enabled SSL.. or something equally stupid.  I also had several occasions
where the main mail server had crashed and when it came back up they
forgot to reset the IMAP server as well - giving exactly the symptoms
you're having, ie ability to logon through the web but not IMAP.  I
would ask your ISP if they have;

a) Rebooted the mail server, but omitted the IMAP server?  I doubt
you'll get an honest 'whoops!' but it may mysteriously start working :)
b) Enabled/disabled SSL?
c) Changed the username format?
d) Erased/changed your individual account password - even if in error?

e) If none of the above ask them to log in to your account *via IMAP*
themselves - if they can ask them to detail the EXACT settings they
used; if they can't ask them to fix it).

Kind regards,

Julian