Re: [LUG] Giving away copies of Ubuntu & OpenDisc on Freecycle

alexfido@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> hi all, a late reply to this question, i put a machine on freecycle
> admittadly old (1100)duron,40gb hd,256ram and installed 9.04.
> i had 1 phone call and arranged a pickup day,but the guy did not turn
> up,but did tell me he was going to load xp on it.i suppose this means
> that could happen to any machine put on freecycle.
> oh well,happy days ,alex the noob

Yup, it can and does happen.  Technically you're only supposed to be
able to transfer retail boxed copies of Windows from one machine to
another (unless you have some sort of licensing/subscription deal with
Microsoft - i.e. paying twice for the same thing).  At the end of the
day there are always going to be people who will do this, with Windows
XP, Vista etc and there probably isn't much you can do about it, but at
least you're providing the PC with Ubuntu so the recipient of the PC
will have the choice of sticking with Ubuntu or doing whatever with it.

Rob