Re: [LUG] New computer: RAM, CPU

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 09:12 +0100, Martin Gautier wrote:
> RAM & Processor is the easy part.
>
> What about Video cards with good support for Linux? I know practically
> anything will "work" but how about support for 3D?
>
> I'm currently trying to find something to upgrade my son's Ubuntu Jaunty
> which will allow him to play the Windows version of Need for Speed. He
> has a working install of Wine and XP in VMWare Player - which he needs
> to run MS Office so he can do his school homework, Publisher doesn't
> work in Wine - NfS falls over in Wine because the 3D support fails and
> VMware complains that 3D isn't enabled. He's currently running a very
> old nVdia card with the "old" nVidia driver set...
>
> Martin

probably upgrading the nvidia driver will do it, though you'll need to
use the official proprietary one and not the "nv" driver usually
installed as it doesn't support 3D. Ubuntu has the needed stuff, just
put nvidia into synaptic (if you're using ubuntu of course). The install
from the nvidia web site is pretty easy though.

Generally IMHO nvidia have the best support for linux.

Simon