Re: [LUG] Devolo

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 18:47 +0100, Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have used Devolo Wired Connectors but not the new Wireless ones.
>
> These ran quite well under Kubuntu 7.04 (don't have them anymore) and I was
> in a similar situation where one was plugged into the Router upstairs (on
> one Circuit through the Fuse box) and the other downstairs (on another Ring
> Main) so don't think there is a problem there.
>
> Others have pointed out about Encryption but I am unsure as to how big a
> problem this is. Also go for the highest speed you can to meet your needs
> (e.g. Wireless I think goes up to 85 MBPS sets) but be aware that different
> types (e.g. Netgear, Devolo) will co-exist but not talk to each other - I
> think this extends to even sets by the same Manufacturer (i.e. Devolo 85
> MBPS Sets won't talk to the Devolo 200 MBPS Sets).
>
> Regards,
> Dave.

I cost myself unnecessary money and plugs because it seemed to me that
my new 200 MBPS plugs couldn't talk to the 85's, though the 85's would
still link to the router. After buying a couple more 200's I then found
a note in the setup info about getting them to speak together. One needs
one 200 plug and one 85 which are then linked together via an ethernet
cable. After this they will work together fine.

I've not had problems with different manufacturers, although I've only
tried Solwise and Devolo. The standard did change a while back, so maybe
that was the problem.

Incidentally one version of the 85 plug has a USB socket as well as
ethernet. Would this run an internet phone?

Simon