Re: [LUG] Devolo

On Tue, 19 May 2009 08:13:32 +0100
Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I have my desktop computer upstairs. My wife uses her laptop
> downstairs via my wireless router (DSL G604T). She often complains
> about losing the signal or it all being very slow.
>
> I have seen a little about devolo and I wondered if anyone on the
> list has it in use. It looks as if it could be useful. One possible
> problem, our downstairs power plugs and the upstairs ones are on
> separate circuits. At least, they have separate switches on the mains
> box. Would that cause any difficulty?
>
> TIA
>
> Neil

I have installed Ethernet-over-Powerline adaptors at a number of our
customer's premises.  The biggest obstacles we have encountered with
them is getting a signal across phases (but that should not be a
problem in a residential installations) and some equipment that can
introduce significant noise on the powerline.  Other than that, I
think they're a very workable technology... if you're not overly
worried about security.

Grant.