Re: [LUG] OT Digital TV

On Thu, 7 May 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

> george wrote:
>> As a matter of interest, us yere in Brixham, and the rest of Torbay, are now
>> fully digificated, which means that the signal strength has increased.  I
>> took my spare telly, a modern 22" digital jobby, and plugged in a set top
>> aerial and retuned.  Bingo!  A perfect picture, strength about 80% or better,
>> going through 2 walls.  The picture on the main TV, from a 'proper' antenna
>> is about 90%.
>>
>> I have now ditched my order for further fancy aerials, amplifiers and
>> splitters.  Mind you, TV anywhere in the house has it's down side.
>>
>> George
>>
> That's good, are you using the Brixham relay transmitter or the Beacon
> Hill transmitter?
>
> I found that after the switchover I couldn't get any of the BBC channels
> on my Freeview tuner on the PC (I can get everything else) whereas
> before I couldn't get ITV.  Not sure if it's the Freeview adaptor or
> what as I can get everything on my Freeview boxes or TV with Freeview
> built in.

Father in-law in Totnes got a new LDC telly a few days ago - came with a
digi tuner built in (and a CF card reader of all things - the ultimate
digtal photo frame!)

Anyway bloke from local TV shoppie set it up, etc. then tried to re-set
his old digi-box he had connected to his old analogue TV (so he could
video programs as the TV only has one tuner), but he failed to get all
channels, even after 2 factory resets on the box. He did say that some
older boxes just don't work after the switchover has happened - not sure
how much to beleive him, but FIL was all set to go out & buy a dvd writer
with built in digituner anyway... (And copy his videos over to DVD, then
dump the video & tapes!)

Gordon