Re: [LUG] Fwd: "Ubuntu In The Clouds - The Revolution" (Press

On Thursday 07 May 2009 08:04, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> Release Attached)
>
> On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 05:44:23PM +0100, Richard Brown wrote:

This is just a way of them hosting your data and apps and charging you for the
privilege and not really doing a lot for your:
You can set yourself up to access all your stuff over the web to your stuff at
home/office. If your IT/comms at home/office got down you cant access their
stuff anyway - without leaving your home/office and getting access elsewhere.
I think a better approach would be co-operative cloud computing where you
share a portion of your cloud with (several) others so you act as backup for
them and they for you and in case of your comms failure you can access your
data at theirs or over the internet.

Its a new approach to 'computing without the tears at a cost'. A bit like
driving without a driving license or any map reading abilities and a
chauffeur who has his own agenda.
While I think cloud computing has some fantastic possibilities the ones most
touted seem to be from parasitic industries.
Tom te tom te tom