Re: [LUG] OT: [Fwd: Gurkha Justice Campaign update from Joanna Lumley]

Steph Foster wrote:
> Clare Shepherd wrote:
>> On 29 Apr 2009, at 02:11, Julian Hall wrote:
>>

>> I agree with Joanna Lumley, this treatment of the Gurkha soldiers. My
>> grandfather faught alongside Gurkhas during WWI, and believed they
>> were some of the fiercest, loyal and brave troops we had. Does their
>> loyal service over many generations count for naught with this
>> government. it's a public disgrace, and shames us all. However, since
>> we have a Government that doesn't trust UK subjects, spies on our
>> digital communications and allows our police to ill-treat peaceful
>> demonstrators, what makes us think that they'd treat the Gurkhas
>> fairly. I'm beginning to think that fairness isn't in their vocabulary.
>>

>> Clare
>>

> You are preaching to the choir there hon.
>
> But it isnt just the Gurkhas, the Govt pretty much treats a lot of ex
> service persons disgracefully.
>
> Just slung on to the rubbish heap without so much as a thank you or any
> after care.
>
> I agree about the comment re the police too. I'm tempted to have a t
> shirt made up with the quote that one person said after G20
>
> "The police need to remember that they are servants, not masters of the
> people."
>
> I believe George Orwell's pigeons are coming home to roost !
>
> Steph

Dear Folk,
I know OT but it 'engages' and 'enrages ' me this shameful treatment
of loyal and good ex soldiers (with some of whom I served).
For some time I have supported The Gurkha Welfare Trust* ( which
pays a 'private' pension and provides medical care to old Gurkhas
and dependents in Nepal) which looks after ex soldiers and their
families abandoned by UK Governments!

The UK Government treats these ex-soldiers shamefully , just as they
do not give correct treatment to  UK natives who are discharged
wounded in body or mind.

Please support the Campaign for correct treatment for the Gurkhas
and dependents.

*Supported mainly by voluntary payments from ex service  folk like me.
There are two  needs - support for the aged infirm in Nepal and
ability to settle here for those who served.

Eion MacDonald