Re: [LUG] School Server

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> So what's a school server?
>
> For the admin department, probably nothing more than a file server - maybe

SIMS started off using a "file database" but have since moved to a
monstrosity using MSSQL and an incredibly heavyweight client.
About the only sane way to run this application for anything other than
a handful of workstations is via terminal server, which is "not
supported" by the supplier.

> some "Intranet" type applications. It will be behind the school firewall,
> so risk of external contact ought to be zero. It should be on a separate
> LAN from the teaching network. (especially if it's holding financial and
> maybe student details) so risk of attacks from within ought to be
> minimal too. So patching, updating, etc. really ought not to be a
> desperately high requirement. Even less so when we start with a known
> robust platform (ie. Linux)
>
> So what I think I'm saying is that if patching, upgrading, etc. is your
> main concern, then something is wrong, or people have gotten the patch
> Tuesday mentality burned into their brains when it's really not needed at
> all.

Plenty of completly daft things appear to be considered the norm even
desirable. Thus you easily end up with all sorts of complex "solutions"
to help do things in ways which don't make much sense in the first place.

> So what's a school server and why is the head buying into RM?
>
> She's buying RM because it fits the purpose. RM have a lot of time and

Assuming anyone actually knows what that purpose is in the first place.
What used to be called "systems analysis" appears to be something of a
dead art.

> money invested into schools, and rightly or wrongly, there seems little

Outside of education RM are virtually unknown, however.