Re: [LUG] School Server

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Wish I could say the same for the application software though

I've switched from a patch when needed, to a pro-active update model.

Usually the compulsion to upgrade is weakness in application software,
but often to do that you need current a LAMP stack, which means patching.

Also a moderate compromise of an out of date application can be
escalated to root more easily on boxes with known kernel exploits.

That said work still has a Redhat mumble something, which hasn't joined
the Debian bang up to date patching model. On the other hand this box is
losing services as things break, and I hit a known postgres memory
corruption bug the other day.

The reliability of Debian patching has encouraged me to do this,
although Lenny had more issues than I'd have hoped.