Re: [LUG] Comparing proprietary nVidia drivers with Free ones

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 07:14:39PM +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:

> About as helpful as a chocolate fireguard.
>
> I haven't looked into the Free nVidia drivers in quite a while - how do
> they fair with regard to the "fancy" 3D things like Compiz?

I’m not sure how far nouveau (the newer free nvidia driver) has come, but nv
(the older one) didn’t do 3D acceleration at all.

As far as ATI goes, the newer versions of the radeonhd driver actually
do (some) hardware acceleration. The version in Debian Experimental
should, at least. It’s not great, but it’s better than nothing.

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0