From: Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 07 April 2009 07:18
To: list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LUG] Networking

Hi

I believe there are two approaches to building a local area network
(lan). The usual approach certainly when using xp etc is to build a
workgroup around a cluster of computers all talking to a
switch/hub/router. The second approach seems to be around a domain.
And it is this approach that I want to try to learn more about.

What is it please and how does it work? Does it mean you create a
server and then all computers feed of that etc? The reason I am asking
is because we are about to purchase several new computers for work and
we want to speed the whole network up and also protect it more. All
the computers currently log in to a file server and also a database
server and I am wondering whether we could also route the internet
through the servers to provide additional protection to the network.
But we are also looking for speed improvements on accessing data from
the database and wonder whether this will help.

Many thanks for the help.
--
Kind regards
Rich