Re: [LUG] OT: 50MBit Virgin Broadband

On 30/03/2009 17:20, Ray Smith wrote:
> [...]
Hmm... interesting, could it be capacity related rather than
throttling.  According to the official page on Virgin Media's web site
[1] they only throttle the connection for 5 hours although sods law if
you go over the threshold at 8:59pm then you're throttled for 5 hours.
I must admit the threshold does seem a bit low to me, 3GB in 5 hours on
a 20 Meg connection seems a bit harsh (considering on my 7 Meg
connection I can download a 4GB DVD ISO in about 2 hours).

The way I'm looking at it though, even if I went onto 20 Meg and they
throttled me down to 5 Meg, it wouldn't be far off what I'm getting at
the moment for about the same monthly cost (I guess the answer to the
traffic management is if I don't need something in a hurry to schedule
it to run overnight).

Rob

[1] http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html