Re: [LUG] I feel like Pipex are trying to con me...

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>> I recently requested a house move from Pipex. It all sounded simple
>> 'till
>> they phoned to inform me that a fault had been reported on the new
>> line and
>> that they'd need to send a BT enginear, which would cost me £80. I
>> spoke to
>> my, now wife, and she said the the line was/is fine. So I phoned Pipex
>> customer care and told them that there is no need for the enginear to
>> come
>> as the line is fine. They sent the BT guy, he was here for less the five
>> minuts and low and behold the line is fine. I call Pipex back to make
>> sure I
>> wasn't going to be charged as I had informed them that the line was fine
>> beforehand and was reasured that I wouldn't be charged for the call out.
>>    Yesterday I had a call telling me I have an outstanding bill of
>> £88.00
>> for a BT enginear. I get angry. Then it takes a good half hour for me
>> to get
>> it into the head of the customer service person that I told them they
>> didn't
>> need to send the enginear, they said I wouldn't have to pay but now,
>> apparently, I have to pay.
>
> If the bill was from BT, then Pipex (hopefully) won't see any of it.
>
> Challenge BT - if it's BT who's billing you. Tell them you
> specifically told Pipex that the line was fine and to not send an
> engineer. Put this in writing and via a phone call to BT, and copy all
> correspondance to Pipex. Also challenge pipex. You probably won't get
> anywhere though, but it might make you feel better. Tell them you're
> going to invoice them for the BT charge.
>
> I don't suppose you recorded your calls, did you? (If so, don't use
> the recording direct, but write a transcript of it)
>
> Then phone pipex and ask for a MAC and take you business elsewhere.
> There are plenty more ISPs to choose from with better (and cheaper)
> service.
>
>>   Call me paranoid but I got the distinct feeling that Pipex are out
>> to try
>> to squeese as much money out of me as they can and as for "customer
>> service"
>> she just seemed intent on keeping me on the phone for as long as
>> possible.
>
> Was it an 084x or 087x number? They can earn 1p a minute from 084
> number and at least 4p a minute off 0870 numbers
>
>>   I felt powerless and like I was in 1984.  I remember asking about
>> ISP's
>> here and I seem to recall being warned against Pipex as they,
>> efectively,
>> were becomming Tiscali. Which they now are. Am I right in thinking my
>> ISP
>> are not very nice and also not very helpfull?....or is it just me?
>
> Once upon a time, Pipex was a good name in the ISP business. That was
> [...]
If writing to BT and Pipex I recommend you send your letters addressed to:
"The Company Secretary" at these comapnies.
I had trouble with BT last year and got a speedy response having written to
The Company Secretary.
This position is mandatory for limited companies so they all have such
an individual
who report to the Board.

John W