[LUG] I feel like Pipex are trying to con me...

I recently requested a house move from Pipex. It all sounded simple 'till
they phoned to inform me that a fault had been reported on the new line and
that they'd need to send a BT enginear, which would cost me £80. I spoke to
my, now wife, and she said the the line was/is fine. So I phoned Pipex
customer care and told them that there is no need for the enginear to come
as the line is fine. They sent the BT guy, he was here for less the five
minuts and low and behold the line is fine. I call Pipex back to make sure I
wasn't going to be charged as I had informed them that the line was fine
beforehand and was reasured that I wouldn't be charged for the call out.
    Yesterday I had a call telling me I have an outstanding bill of £88.00
for a BT enginear. I get angry. Then it takes a good half hour for me to get
it into the head of the customer service person that I told them they didn't
need to send the enginear, they said I wouldn't have to pay but now,
apparently, I have to pay.
   Call me paranoid but I got the distinct feeling that Pipex are out to try
to squeese as much money out of me as they can and as for "customer service"
she just seemed intent on keeping me on the phone for as long as possible.
   I felt powerless and like I was in 1984.  I remember asking about ISP's
here and I seem to recall being warned against Pipex as they, efectively,
were becomming Tiscali. Which they now are. Am I right in thinking my ISP
are not very nice and also not very helpfull?....or is it just me?
Cheers, Jon