Re: [LUG] Linux serving Windows machines...

On 03/02/2009 18:39, Mark Evans wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
>

>> One side of me is saying "stick to Samba as PDC with Dovecot and other
>> things and figure out why Vista won't load roaming profiles from Samba".
>>

> With Vista (and later versions of Windows) Microsoft dramatically
> changed their profile format. IIRC they also added some "sanity checks"
> so that if files are not where they are expected the whole thing just
> gets into a mess.
>

>> Another side of me is saying "look for a Linux distro that sorts this
>> out for you".
>>
>> The final side of me says "they don't actually *need* roaming profiles
>> or hotdesking, so don't worry about the PDC thing at all"
>>

> On a LAN you'd generally be better off using "Folder Redirection" than
> "roaming profiles". This also stands more chance of interoperating with
> XP and Vista. Since AFAIK Microsoft have made fewer changes to the
> applicable registry keys in NTUSER.DAT

Roaming profiles still work fine on Vista, a client of mine has roaming
profiles enabled and it still works great between XP, Vista and Windows
Server 2003.  Now if I could only train the users not to stick gigs of
audio files and junk on their desktop...

Rob