Re: [LUG] Default gateway disappears when a root SSH putty connection is used?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Kevin Tunison wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Sam Grabham <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a strange problem i am currrenly looking at, when a root user
>> connects via a windoze/putty connection, the default gateway is removed. If
>> you connect with another user the gateway remains.
>>
>> Have looked at the files in the /root folder, profiles etc. Started to look
>> into the sysctl file and /etc/ssh etc.
>>
>> Does any one know of a url that explains a step by step on scripts called
>> when ssh console opened?
>>

>> Regards
>>

>> Sam
>>

> sshd_config should do the trick..
>
> If you search ssh as root no gateway you will find this link:
>
> http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_enable_root_login_with_ssh.html

That doesn't help Sams problem. He can login as root without any issues,
it's just that when he does, the box loses it's default route.

I'd suggest that there was something else at play - script being run
somewhere on login. sshd doesn't fiddle with the routing tables, neither
does sshd run scripts that I'm aware of.

Start by looking at /root/.profile .bashrc, .anything else. /etc/profile,
/etc/bash.bashrc ...

But who knows what else might be lurking there - selinux?

> They also stress this is a bad idea, just as Grant has.  It is better
> to connect then sudo.

To each their own. I have many instances when I login as root using ssh
where it's appropriate.

Gordon