Re: [LUG] real life use of SVN

John Clarke wrote:
> HI Robin
>  excelent thats very helpful thank you very much, makes sense.
>  The move from vss (yuk) is giving me problems getting used to a
> "whole" tree having a revision number - its a case of getting used to
> the "tree" containing what I need and not the specific individual
> files. I can see it is better this way, beginning to like it , so
> thank you .

SVN is great but the only word of warning I will give is try to keep up
communication between the dev team. I have witnessed horrible things
when two people were working on the same code working on the same
solution but made incompatible implementations. One updated there
repository and managed to get into conflict hell. Now SVN should warn
you there is a conflict so don't just blindly accept a merge. Depending
on the size of the commit it is trying to merge this could be a
nightmare. You should be able to diff first and see what the other party
has added and what you have added wrt the original repository, before
merging, or accepting changes of any code.

And never ever check in a folder called .svn, thats not nice either.
Avoid silly characters in folder and file names, i've seen people do
stupid things there as well then had to try to escape commands to svn to
get things to checkout as special characters were used and if you use
multiple OS's watch out for line endings!. There is nothing worse than a
commit that changes 1 line of code and 4000 line ending changes ;-)

Heh, after all that I'm not trying to put you off!, just think (diff &
look) before you accept changes to files you know you have also modified
when doing an update.

After a short initial learning curve it will pay dividends in no time.

Some people say commit little and often so each delta is a specific
thing not a whole bunch of stuff that touched 200 files. Also helps the
log and you can easily see what has happened over the history of a project.

Now if you really want to scare your self try a distributed version
control system ;-), git or mercurial... hehe may be stick with SVN for
now, they are both quite quite different approaches to VCS.

Regards

Robin