Re: [LUG] Sheffield hospitals infected by Conficker Worm

On 20/01/2009 14:05, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 01:49:34PM -0000, Neil Stone wrote:
>

>> "Don't you just hate it when your boss is so computer illiterate yet has
>> the power to veto the simplest of ideas to catastrophic end," said one,
>> who asked to remain anonymous.
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/20/sheffield_conficker/
>>
>> I was having a laugh at the truth in that statement...
>>

> I thought the sadder laugh is at the following line
>
> ' The trust argued that the consequences of its decision making had not cost
> public money, "just   time and effort by the IT teams".'
>
> If wasted time and effort is not wasted money ........
>
> 'Until late December, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Trust had a policy in place
> that would apply security updates across its network a few weeks after the patch
> release, and enforce a reboot.'
>
> ie unpatched system left vulnerable for several weeks

Where I used to work they had a policy of only installing really mission
critical updates hours after their release and generally leaving updates
a month until they could be tested on their test network before
releasing them into the wild.  I think the policy that this trust had
though, i.e turning off all automatic updates was a really bad idea.

Rob