Re: [LUG] stats on Linux market share - new approach

I see the argument that we should look at the market share of OSS ingeneral

Lets put a senario forward, giving a talk on OSS, / Free software at a
future Lug meet, someone asks about market share, for Free software,

Lets plan for this, it looks good on the lug for having facts and
figures to hand at a meeting, we can admit we can't be 100 percent sure
due to the fact users are not forcing people to register software or the
OS doesn't phone home with data on what is installed. That is being
honest, so saying rough estimate is x percent, is far better than saying
I have no idea.

I am just thinking if this comes up, we need an answer.

Paul