Re: [LUG] stats on Linux market share

Neil Williams wrote:

> 7. Basing figures on any one piece of software excludes massive numbers
> of other installations that use different software - not even the
> kernel can be used or you'll exclude most BSD people and those still
> warrant consideration in the "free software" economy. It's a mistake to
> look for figures on the "Linux market share".

As someone said already "share of what".

You can get pretty accurate figures for issues such as GNU/Linux share
of the web server, DNS server, mail server market - at least for
Internet facing devices. Free software is doing well, or dominating in
all these, with GNU/Linux providing one of the most common platforms for
same.

Paul seems to be interested in the traditional Desktop Computer (work or
home) - and you can approximate that from browser stats. Sure there is
some margin of error but GNU/Linux is well in the "also ran" category
between 1 and 2% by almost all measures (at least in our part of the
World - US/UK).