Re: [LUG] stats on Linux market share

On Friday 16 January 2009 16:37, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Try suggesting adult education tutors they do Linux courses or courses
> in say open office, you end up getting told that there is no demand, or
I spoke to some people from a local college/adult education thing and they
were VERY interested in FLOSS - alas I lost their details.
> they are not interested  if we know the stats then any requests can be
> backed up with real data.
I'm afraid there is no way of getting real data. Who knows how many machines
out there are spoofing MS/IE to get onto web sites.
Everyone uses Windows: except in my circles where there windows is maybe 5% of
the installs - and thats not including dclugers but no-one would ask for an
Open Office course because they either don't need open office or if they do
they don't need training. Thats one of the joys of FLOSS - you don't NEED to
ask others for help.
I may be over-optimistic but I don't think we're too far from a tipping point
but its hard to tell as there are too many vested interests that will loose
fortunes by admitting any real advancement of linux - until it just happens.
I have a feeling evolution will win out here  - people will pay to do MS and
Office, and others will do Linux and data processing/management and gain
financially and in their ability to do something and not just write about it
and in twenty years time you'll be showing youngsters how people used to
write 'documents' that were based around a thing called paper and laughing
like the Smash aliens.
That is if the economy ever recovers of course....
Tom te tom te tom