Re: [LUG] JPG and PNG

On 14/01/2009 14:13, james kilty wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 10:04 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
>

>> Anyone still using IE6 needs to be shot. I appreciate this may include
>> some of my colleagues but it is a price worth paying.
>>
> Hello
>
> My wife's charity (arthritiscare.org.uk) hasn't moved up as installing
> IE7 b@@@@d up their system somehow and things did not work - perhaps it
> was the outlook web access that didn't mesh properly.

Ahh interesting, I've seen this myself where I used to work.  Their
Outlook Web Access didn't work for a few staff members who were trying
to connect in from home using IE7 on XP or Vista.  They could connect in
but not send mail due to an incompatible ActiveX component.  The
solution - install Firefox.
> Interesting that her experiences of using MS at work (having to return
> her work computer to the charity's outsourced IT (same name!) to remove
> trojans that regenerated themselves - Zlob and others), outrageous
> startup times and having to reboot to regain access to a file and other
> matters has made her positive about Linux - seeing my effortless control
> of my laptop has helped somewhat. She uses it successfully when our
> daughter has borrowed her laptop and vice versa - daughter uses mine to
> watch dvd's! When I show her she can access her favourite msn maybe
> she'll use the ubuntu I installed on her snail paced W2k machine which
> she moans about.

Sounds good.  Chances are she'd be able to use Pidgin although sods law
Microsoft are moving the goal posts again with an update to Windows Live
(formally MSN) which will no doubt mean more incompatibilities.  She
should hopefully still be able to send instant messages though (IIRC
that cruddy handwriting mode doesn't work).

Rob