Re: [LUG] Just a suggestion.

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:06:24 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:42:00 +0000
> > J Wonnacott wrote:
> >
> >> Another mailing list I am on has categories for messages and I was
> >> wondering if this is something we may like to consider using here.
> >> I find it useful on the other list as there are some topics I am
> >> very inerested in, some which I may read if not busy at the time
> >> and some which I definitely don't want. Admittedly the heading
> >> would take some planning but for a start we could have 'Help
> >> wanted', 'Meetings', 'Winges about M$', 'For sale/wanted', 'Web
> >> links', etc.
> >>
> >> Any comments?
> >>
> >> James
> >
> > Personally, I am against the idea.  I quite like having
> > everything-under-one-roof as it means that I receive messages about
> > topics that I would not necessarily have thought I'd be interested
> > in, but upon reading them, I am.
> >
> > Also, things frequently get quite off-topic... would these kind of
> > messages have to be moved to other lists, breaking the threading of
> > a topic?
>
> Threading is good, and these days probably one of the better ways to
> keep things organised. I can trivially follow (or ignore) a thread
> using my chosen email client (pine) and it makes sure when I reply,
> the thread references are kept in-tact.
>
> Gordon

Likewise in Claws-Mail (sometimes known as Sylpheed).  Occasionally it
misses a trick, but that seems to be when people reply to a thread, but
change the subject line and content, and are essentially creating a
whole new thread but not starting from scratch. :(

Grant.