Re: [LUG] Just a suggestion.

Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:42:00 +0000
> J Wonnacott wrote:
>

>> Another mailing list I am on has categories for messages and I was
>> wondering if this is something we may like to consider using here. I
>> find it useful on the other list as there are some topics I am very
>> inerested in, some which I may read if not busy at the time and some
>> which I definitely don't want. Admittedly the heading would take some
>> planning but for a start we could have 'Help wanted', 'Meetings',
>> 'Winges about M$', 'For sale/wanted', 'Web links', etc.
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> James
>>

> Personally, I am against the idea.  I quite like having
> everything-under-one-roof as it means that I receive messages about
> topics that I would not necessarily have thought I'd be interested in,
> but upon reading them, I am.
>
> Also, things frequently get quite off-topic... would these kind of
> messages have to be moved to other lists, breaking the threading of a
> topic?
>
> Grant.

I agree, sometimes a thread will be started that will slowly drift on to
something else, but still be related, for example discussions on a
technical topic could lead to a meeting being organised with the aim of
further discussion (something similar happened after our last meet, a
thread of questions and answers, )

if you don't read sub threads you won't find out about meetings and
other events for example.

links to websites and articles start debates and related threads it adds
life to the user group.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton