Re: [LUG] Recovering Files from a Windows Formatted Disk

On 08/01/2009 16:32, Neil Stone wrote:
> I totally agree with the last statement here.. having gone through DRS
> companies in the past, the more you try, the less chance they have..

Funnily enough I watched a video on the BBC web site today (in evil
Windows Media format) which showed how to destroy the data on a laptop
hard drive.  The reporter chucked the drive out of a second story
window, dipped it in a pond, drove over it in a car and then smashed it
to bits with a hammer.  Funnily enough Ont rack weren't able to recover
the data because the disc had glass platters which had shattered.

They did say though that usually they can recover data from drives which
had been introduced to tea and other such things.

Looking on the Ontrack site, there is software available to do it
yourself at about £150 although depending on how important the data is
and who's paying, the best bet might be to send the drive off for
recovery (and Ontrack are one of the best in the business).

Rob