Re: [LUG] Recovering Files from a Windows Formatted Disk

Julian Hall wrote:
> Neil Stone wrote:
>
>> Brown Richard wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Guys
>>>
>>> I hope all is well.
>>>
>>> I have a friend who took their pc to a repair place. Unfortunately the
>>> repair was botched and instead of repairing they simply formatted the
>>> whole drive.
>>>
>>> I have looked on the net and have found the dd command to be my
>>> friend. What I want to do is to recover all data from the formatted
>>> drive, so it has been suggested I use:
>>> dd bs=512 if=/dev/rXX# of=/some_dir/foo.dmg conv=noerror,sync
>>> Basically I just want to check is that correct please?
>>> Thanks for the help.
>>> Rich
>>>

>> If the drive has been formatted you don't want to use anything other
>> than a data recovery service..
>>
>> If this bodge was done by a company, they should be paying for this
>> service.. That is, after all, what PII is there to cover..
>>

> There is software available for the home user to do this, but in this
> case I'd be inclined to agree with Neil.  What they screwed up they have
> a legal duty to fix.
>
> In the meantime I strongly suggest the drive be left alone with no
> further write operations done to it until all data recovery attempts
> have been completed.  Any further writes reduce the chances of a full
> recovery.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian
I totally agree with the last statement here.. having gone through DRS
companies in the past, the more you try, the less chance they have..

My advise.. return system to company that made a mess of things, remind
them of their legal obligations, remind them of their insurances, leave
it with them to resolve...

Don't try this recovery yourself..

If needed I might be able to pull some company names up for you that
have done some DRS for us in the past..