Re: [LUG] Recovering Files from a Windows Formatted Disk

Neil Stone wrote:
> Brown Richard wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> I hope all is well.
>>
>> I have a friend who took their pc to a repair place. Unfortunately the
>> repair was botched and instead of repairing they simply formatted the
>> whole drive.
>>
>> I have looked on the net and have found the dd command to be my
>> friend. What I want to do is to recover all data from the formatted
>> drive, so it has been suggested I use:
>> dd bs=512 if=/dev/rXX# of=/some_dir/foo.dmg conv=noerror,sync
>> Basically I just want to check is that correct please?
>> Thanks for the help.
>> Rich
>>

> If the drive has been formatted you don't want to use anything other
> than a data recovery service..
>
> If this bodge was done by a company, they should be paying for this
> service.. That is, after all, what PII is there to cover..

There is software available for the home user to do this, but in this
case I'd be inclined to agree with Neil.  What they screwed up they have
a legal duty to fix.

In the meantime I strongly suggest the drive be left alone with no
further write operations done to it until all data recovery attempts
have been completed.  Any further writes reduce the chances of a full
recovery.

Kind regards,

Julian