Re: [LUG] flv to sound file

james kilty wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 20:01 +0000, james kilty wrote:
>

>> mplayer -dumpaudio "dwhelper/file name.flv" "dwhelper/file name.mp3"
>>
> whoops add -dumpfile between the flv" and "...mp3"
>
> Job done.  Audacity is wonderful. It could not import .wav files though.
> It thought they were suspect and imported them as mp3. What would be the
> best quality of file format to import presuming mplayer is best to
> convert the audio? Mind you, starting with Youtube might have put
> serious limitations to begin with.
>
> VLC seems to be able to separate video and sound when playing flv files
> but I don't know how to use the information it shows me about
> the /dev/video and /dev/dsp video and sound devices. Presumably there is
> a simple script to create the separate files?
>
> We will be doing this again - many times - my wife enjoyedd it too - we
> may have a convert - my daughter watched (I put Ubuntu on her desktop in
> a new partition and might by stealth get her at least to try it as she
> thinks win2k is too slow!) She has to deliberately select windows as it
> boots.
>
> Thanks
I tend to use "keepvid.com" to download YouTube videos - it usually
gives you the option of low-quality FLV or high-quality MP4 downloads.
Then, once I have the MP4 file, I'd use mplayer in the manner suggested
by Rob to extract the audio. From the WAV you can easily convert to ogg
and mp3 or burn to CD as an audio track.

Grant.