Re: [LUG] router keeps stopping - reply tto Gordon

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
<snip>
> The router is a separate unit, (not running x) even though it does have
> a serial port on it,   i have switched on this morning and touch wood
> its been pretty stable, so i suspect if i run it for too long as with
> anything electronic it gets warm,  this could cause problems,

It shouldn't do.  My Linksys WRT54G has been happilly running for ages
(not sure the exact uptime, a good couple of months), and my Netgear
ADSL router very rarely crashes, it's more a line fault usually.

Where you say the router keeps stopping, does it just stop giving access
to the internet?

Does the router provide IP addresses to the rest of the network or does
each machine have static IP addresses?

> Not sure what OS the router is running i have a web interface to set
> things up,
>
> /The router is an ADSL router, running at 8 megabits / sec (max), but
> its crashing or restarting on really basic stuff like web browsing,
> this is connected to a hub which then connects to printer,  my main pc
> and a cable to my 2nd pc or sometimes laptop if i am using that, as I
> don't run the 2nd pc very often.
>
> Paul
> /

Have you tried removing everything else and just connecting one machine
to the router to see if that fails?

Can you get into the router web interface when it 'crashes'.

I just wonder if you could maybe have a dodgy line or something (maybe
due to the bad weather we've been having lately)?

I get occasional disconnects on my ADSL line but it's down usually to
the exchange or the connection between the house and the exchange.

Rob