Re: [LUG] router keeps stopping

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a problem with my router,
>
> it keeps disconnecting,  if i then reset it,  it fires up goes through
> what ever sequence it does when it starts, it then just stops and the
> lnk and act lights go out, and i lose connection.
>
> i DO NOT understand why this is happening or if it could be a fault, if
> it is I am going to be offline as I can't afford a new router
>
> if i goto a console and do
> psutton@desktop:~$ who
>
> i get the following
> psutton  :0           2008-12-14 21:48
> psutton  pts/0        2008-12-14 21:56 (:0.0)
>
> does this mean i have 2 users connecting or does it mean i have someone
> connecting from the out site,  what does pts/0 mean,  yes I have tried
> to look it up with man, but do NOT really understand what it telling me

The :0.0 is a clue that you're running X windows on it. I'm guessing
you've logged in using a GUI...

I'd not recomend running X on a router at all. Go out and buy a new
router, however yuo've not given us enough information to know what to
suggest - for a start do you have Cable or ADSL?

In either case, you can get routers for under 30 quid...

Tell us a bit more about your setup and why you think you need a Linux
based router?

Gordon