[LUG] The teacher / Linux does not exist story

couple of extra articles that give some background to the story. Not quite sure what
the truth is

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/digitalsavant/entries/2008/12/11/breaking_local.html

Now, Starks says he regrets the whole incident. "I don't think I've ever committed
one act       that made me feel like such a schmuck," he said in a phone interview
with the                    American-Statesman today.

"Starks says he has spoken with the teacher twice since his Monday post and that
"Karen" was      crying when they spoke. What she failed to mention in her initial
e-mail, he says, is that she   gave the Linux discs back to the student and was more
concerned that there might be              pornography or other suspect material on
the discs than about a non-Windows operating system   being introduced in the
classroom."

"Nevertheless, there's a bit of a silver lining in the story of how an angry e-mail
could rile the entire Linux world: on Saturday, Starks says, he has been invited to
install the Linux       operating system on Karen's home computer. "

End quote

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/digitalsavant/entries/2008/12/11/aisd_director_o.html?cxntfid=blogs_digital_savant

Of the district's 36,000 computers, two-thirds of them run Windows. However, these
computers also run Open Office, Google Earth, Google Apps, Firefox and many other
free software, much of it open-source. In addition, the district has 100 Linux
servers and a lot of its infrastructure runs on that platform, Salada told the
American-Statesman.

"We pretty much look at what the best product is to get the job done and we're very
price-sensitive as well," Salada said.

Salada said that although AISD would love for the whole situation to blow over, they
aren't making a concerted effort to identify the teacher, identified only online as
"Karen," or to discipline her. In fact, Salada says he understands the teacher
making sure inappropriate content wasn't being brought into the classroom. "She was
really doing her job," he said, "I think where this thing melted down was in the
interchange (online)."

End Quote

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.