Re: [LUG] The teacher / Linux does not exist story

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> couple of extra articles that give some background to the story. Not quite sure
> what the truth is
>
> http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/digitalsavant/entries/2008/12/11/breaking_local.html

> Now, Starks says he regrets the whole incident. "I don't think I've ever committed
> one act       that made me feel like such a schmuck," he said in a phone interview
> with the                    American-Statesman today.
>

> "Starks says he has spoken with the teacher twice since his Monday post and that
> "Karen" was      crying when they spoke. What she failed to mention in her initial
> e-mail, he says, is that she   gave the Linux discs back to the student and was
> more concerned that there might be              pornography or other suspect
> material on the discs than about a non-Windows operating system   being introduced
> in the classroom."
>
> "Nevertheless, there's a bit of a silver lining in the story of how an angry
> e-mail could rile the entire Linux world: on Saturday, Starks says, he has been
> invited to install the Linux       operating system on Karen's home computer. "
To me there are two ways of looking at this;

1.  'Karen' is a teacher who is incapable of expressing herself clearly
in writing.  Note her original email didn't even *hint* at pornography.
That doesn't make her look good.

2.  'Karen' realises she stirred up a hornet's nest and is now trying to
find an excuse for her original actions that is acceptable to the
masses.  Claiming she was worried about pornography in the classroom is
one such excuse.  Having said *that* she is therefore accusing Starks'
kid of potentially distributing pornography.  The words 'frying pan' and
'fire' spring to mind.

It surprises me also that *if* as claimed there are 12,000 non-Windows
computers in her district's education department (assuming either MacOS
or Linux), how can 'Karen' be so ignorant about the nature of what Linux is?

Kind regards,

Julian