Re: [LUG] avoid HP this xmas

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:08:30AM +0000, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> 2008/12/11 Benjamin M. A'Lee <bma+lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> I have an HP/Compaq laptop and when I rang them once for support was
> >> told they had Linux on the same laptop in the Tech Support lab.  So much
> >> for being MS monkeys :)
> >
> > HP are a major supporter of the Debian project, and have been for years.
> > IIRC ftp.debian.org lived under a desk in an office at HP for quite a
> > while, for example. HP also (officially) support Debian on their servers.
> >
> > There are probably worse vendors to buy from.
>
> All my laptop have been HP and the linux h/ware support is just fine.
>
> Amusingly the hp psc 2410 3-in-1 works better under linux than vista or xp.

I never managed to get my HP printer running under XP/2k; there was so
much mucking about to do (and "hey, we're going to install this
completely unrelated software for you now") that I just gave up. Worked
pretty well under GNU/Linux, if you don't mind having an extra
HP-specific daemon running alongside CUPS/lpd.

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0