Re: [LUG] avoid HP this xmas

2008/12/11 Benjamin M. A'Lee <bma+lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> I have an HP/Compaq laptop and when I rang them once for support was
>> told they had Linux on the same laptop in the Tech Support lab.  So much
>> for being MS monkeys :)
>
> HP are a major supporter of the Debian project, and have been for years.
> IIRC ftp.debian.org lived under a desk in an office at HP for quite a
> while, for example. HP also (officially) support Debian on their servers.
>
> There are probably worse vendors to buy from.

All my laptop have been HP and the linux h/ware support is just fine.

Amusingly the hp psc 2410 3-in-1 works better under linux than vista or xp.

Just avoid their consumer stuff - all consumer PCs tend to be pretty
rubbish and heavily tied to MS dependant cheap soft-modems, soft-lan,
etc.

If you stick to business laptops you get a much better laptop, vaguely
sensible support, etc. and usually it's cheaper than the flashy
consumer stuff.

A (who should really try out some of the fingerprint software so that
he can use the fingerprint scanner on his laptop with PAM to login)

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk