Re: [LUG] Getting a Windows refund from Acer

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Simon Waters wrote:
>> Neil Williams wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 10:27:06 +0000
>>>
>>> Nice to see the reverse for once - so many still think that Windows is
>>> easy to install and everything else is hard. It just isn't true.
>>
>> Personally I think Rob should buy from a vendor who supports Linux
>> directly, rather than messing around with refunds from a company
>> notorious for poor support of Linux. That said I think Acer make nice
>> laptops, and the folks at the repair centre near Plymouth were helpful
>> when I needed them and not too scared by my laptop booting something
>> other than Windows. They were slightly phased by a end user turning up
>> in person I think.
>>

> What about the acer aspire on then,  ok the installed linpus may not be
> to the tastes of the average linux hacker,  but for a beginnner it seems
> fine,  and it can be upgraded to another distro (perhaps with help from
> the local user group).  May not be perfect but  its better than   having
> pre installed windows anything that you don't want or need

My wife has an Aspire One. It is the 8GB Flash version and came with
Linpus Lite. (aka. "My First Computer" :)

She's never used Linux, but she does have the ability to "problem solve"
by looking at things and having an over all view of what needs done - eg.
"I need a web browser" rather then "Wheres the Explorer Icon". That to me
is the crucial part - we teach people an idea, not give them an exact set
of buttons to push... anyway...

I found a script on the web that would dump the supplied desktop and
install a more standard one based on xfce - works a treat and she now has
a sort of desktop/workspace theme which she's familiar with. She did need
a bit of help installing realplayer, but other than that she's rally happy
- to the extent that I'm seriuosly consindering giving her desktop a new
lease of line by upgrading XP to Linux...

Gordon