[LUG] Getting a Windows refund from Acer

Hi folks,

I'm looking to get a laptop, probably in the January sales. The laptop
I've decided on is an Acer which comes with Vista Home Premium.

So I decided to see if I could get a Windows refund. After doing a bit
of searching I found this...

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=139627&pp=15

To cut a long story short the poor guy had to ship his laptop back to
Acer so they could confirm Windows was removed. He had to pay to send
the laptop back to Acer and then pay again to have it sent back to him.
After all that he got something like £20 back.

I then started reading this with interest...

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/misc/print/0,1000000169,39286228-39001058c,00.htm

<quote from ZDNet>
Tech support wanted to send us an email to explain its policy. In the
email Acer said: "These items [the notebook] will need to be returned to
your local Acer Repair Centre in order to allow us to remove the Windows
Operating System and refund you for it. Acer will refund you in
accordance with the value of the operating system shipped: XP Home = €30
and XP Professional = €60. Shipment of the product to our repair centre
and back to you after the removal of Windows will be at your own
expense. As this is not a manufacture defect and not covered by the
warranty, you would have to organise your own courier when the machine
is ready to be sent back to you. Following the refund, any remaining
software support on your Acer warranty will be void."

_Acer's sole repair centre in the UK is in Plymouth._

</quote>

So it looks like I'd possibly be in luck. If I do buy one I'll have to
confirm with Acer first, but I wonder if it would be possible to drop
the machine in and have it done there and then. If so, I could head down
to Plymouth, pick up a laptop from Comet and then drop it in for my
refund. :-)

Still I don't think a customer should have to jump through so many hoops!

Rob