Re: [LUG] Repairing a poorly Ubuntu/Debian system...

Grant Sewell wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Grant Sewell wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> I'm
>>> not sure I can be arsed to set up a netboot server (unless anyone has a
>>> foolproof guide with explicitly clear instructions), so I can only see
>>> that fixing it is the way forth.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> Well my first thought would have been USB booting until I noticed you
>> couldn't USB boot.  Maybe you could try this?
>>
>> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/478
>>
>> Assuming you have another working system then it shouldn't be too hard
>> to boot the Debian netinst installer.  Otherwise might be a long shot
>> but maybe you could take the hard disk out, stick it in a desktop
>> machine and get a basic text based installation of Debian booting and
>> work from that?
>>
>> What make laptop is it?  Maybe between us all we can figure out how to
>> USB boot the thing.
>>
>> Rob
>>
> Thanks for the link, Rob. I will have a look at this. Even though I
> don't really want to go down the netboot route if I can get away with
> it, it still looks like an interested project. I may have a go anyway.
>
> The lappy is a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT 915M. Specs: *http://tinyurl.com/5w9vh9*
>
> Grant.

Just did a bit more searching and found this...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071212175340AAB981Y

It's not related to your model but it appears that Sony say that VAIO's
don't support USB booting.  That's really poor, I mean considering how
much a VAIO costs compared to other laptops, you'd think that they'd put
support in there.

The netbooting method isn't too bad anyway, I managed to netbook an
Ubuntu Live CD the other week on an old laptop.  IIRC I used bits from
this page too (for the netboot files)...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot

Rob