Re: [LUG] Repairing a poorly Ubuntu/Debian system...

Rob Beard wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I'm
>> not sure I can be arsed to set up a netboot server (unless anyone has a
>> foolproof guide with explicitly clear instructions), so I can only see
>> that fixing it is the way forth.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> Well my first thought would have been USB booting until I noticed you
> couldn't USB boot.  Maybe you could try this?
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/478
>
> Assuming you have another working system then it shouldn't be too hard
> to boot the Debian netinst installer.  Otherwise might be a long shot
> but maybe you could take the hard disk out, stick it in a desktop
> machine and get a basic text based installation of Debian booting and
> work from that?
>
> What make laptop is it?  Maybe between us all we can figure out how to
> USB boot the thing.
>
> Rob
Thanks for the link, Rob. I will have a look at this. Even though I
don't really want to go down the netboot route if I can get away with
it, it still looks like an interested project. I may have a go anyway.

The lappy is a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT 915M. Specs: *http://tinyurl.com/5w9vh9*

Grant.