Re: [LUG] Computer Suppliers

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> £65.00    http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12231 (mobo & CPU)
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Gordon, after reading your post last night it got me thinking a bit more
>> about my home file/e-mail server which is currently running on a single
>> core Athlon 1400.  I was looking to upgrade it to a P4 3GHz but after
>> getting a rather large electricity bill it made me stand up and think
>> about the Atom.
>>
>> Do you have any running cost figures for the Atom?
>
> My current home server/firewall/swiss army knife of a thing has a single
> core HT Atom in it with 1GB of RAM and 2 x 1TB "green" WDC drives. It's
> also got a D-Link 4-port Ethernet card which I'm sure will add a few
> watts to the total.
>
> It sucks about 45 watts.
>
> Not as "green" as I'd personally like it, so while the Atom processor
> itself is low-power, the rest of the chipset isn't. That heatsink and
> fan is not on the cpu - it's on the northbridge chip - the CPU just has
> a heatsink on it..

I presume though with a big (12cm) fan or two it would be possible to
remove that small northbridge fan, either that or get a copper replacement.

> For a home fileserver, you'll easilly get away with something much
> lesser - 800MHz or less and these mobos are still avalable, although I'm
> not sure they're any "greener" really..

Well it's not just file serving that I do, I'm also running VMWare
Server on there and a couple of virtual machines.  It's really slow at
the moment but it works, I figured with two cores and HT the Atom would
speed things up a bit.

> In terms of performance - well, do you need it? Especially if you're
> only running 10/100 networking. With Gb I might look at something
> better, but you'll hit disk head bandwidth before you saturate the Gb
> network.

At the moment I'm on 10/100.  I'm mulling over upgrading to GB ethernet.
  I currently have a 24-port 10/100 switch in the loft which is
overkill, I know I could get away with something smaller.

> I have to say, if I didn't want to do other things on it, I'd probably
> get a Drobo for a home NAS type of box. They're quite clever and being a
> custom motherboard, etc. very low power. (but many more £££'s! - and a
> disclaimer that I have a friend who works for them!)

I can't afford £££'s at the moment, that's why the Atom 330 looked
attractive.

> I use this:
>
>   http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11662
>
> in a lot of boxes, but it seems to consume about 20W with no drives
> fitted, running off a "brick" type PSU. It's got dual SATA connectors
> and an on-board RAID-1 controller (although I don't use it, prefering
> Linux s/w RAID)
>
> Right now the Atoms are cheape than the VIA boards, but come with a fan,
> so I'm still buying VIAs for fanless systems.

In the future I'm hoping to build a PC for in the car (geeky I know but
it's something I've wanted to do for ages).  I was thinking of a VIA
board for that.

>> I'm not sure what my current server runs at but I'd assume it's a lot
>> more than 8 Watts (it has 4 hard drives for starters).  I'm thinking of
>> maybe replacing the 4 hard drives (which give me about 600GB) with the
>> 750GB drive out of my desktop (which will give me a good reason to clear
>> out some of the junk I've horded).
>
> Just back it up ;-)

I am at the moment, I'm going to force myself to live with much less
space.  I've got to have a fair whack of space for some DV videos I've
got to edit but I know I don't need 750GB on my desktop.

> I replaced my old server which had 2 x 80GB IDE drives internally and 6
> x 72GB SCSI drives in an external enclosure and saved just over
> 100watts... So while nice and geeky to have a RAID-6 system, it was just
> a bit costly!!!

Yep, that is quite high.

>> Since the dual core Atom has HT, I presume it'll be more than enough for
>> my needs (my Athlon 1400 server currently runs Ubuntu Server for file
>> sharing and SME Server on VMWare for my e-mail server).
>>
>> Hopefully if it's quiet enough (or could be made quiet enough with a
>> couple of massive fans) it'll pass the wife test so I can move it
>> downstairs to the lounge too.
>
> I experimented with the single core after playing with wifys Acer Aspire
> One - I was going to use it as a desktop, but I was having issues with
> my fileserver, so put it in there and it hasn't missed a beat, so I got
> the dual-core for the desktop. Not actually put the power meter on that
> yet. The loudest thing is the PSU fan...
>
> Actually, I'll meansure it now ...
>
> .. one reboot later ..
>
> OK, as I type this, running X, dual core+HT mobo, 2GB of Kingston RAM,
> one old 80GB IDE drive, it's settled at 42 watts. I'm not running any
> cpu speed reduction stuff on it yet. (Stock 2.6.27 kernel doesn't seem
> to support it, but I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious)
>
> Runnung a 'make -j' on apache has taken the load up to about 150 and the
> power up to 47 watts peak - but it's fluctuating. I can get it up to 50
> watts by running burnBX and burnMMX.
>
> I'll probably save some 12 watts when I move /home to the server and
> boot it off flash - although right now the DVD & CD burners I have are
> not plugged in as the mobo only has a single IDE socket which the main
> drive is in. (Will get a SATA flash drive)
>
> As a desktop it's great - not a gamers machine, but for what I do -
> mostly software dev and the "usual" webby stuff, it's excellent.
>
> Gordon

Great, well it sounds like it'll do the job for a server anyway.  Now if
I can get a small enough and quiet enough case (but not a MiniITX case
as I can't afford one of them) then I might just be able to get away
with keeping it in the lounge.

Rob