Re: [LUG] Computer Suppliers

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Richard Brown wrote:

Hi

Sometime ago someone on the list said they can supply computer
equipment. I can't remember who and I am in need of one or two
systems. I went to Efficient PC and put this together:
1xShuttle KPC K45 Barebone
2xCorsair 1GB DDR667
1xIntel Core Duo E2200
1xSamsung 500GB SATA2
1xSamsung 500GB SATA2
1xOne Yr RTB Hardware Warranty
1xUbuntu Intrepid

Price (inc Vat): £311.84
Based on this product:
<http://efficientpc.co.uk/desktops/compact/wraith/>
Graphics: Intel GMA 950 (VGA Output)
Audio: 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio
Network: 1 Gbps Ethernet/Lan
USB2: 4 ports
Dimensions: 11(L)x7.5(W)x6.7(H) Inch

I need the barebones to work as a small server running raid 1 (this is
the one where one disks copies exactly to the other) and the other as
a work station with the ability to image editing and possibly running
movies. The only query I have is on graphics. Will they be capable of
running image/video editing, etc.

Anyway, the real reason for writing is can anybody send me to a site
that might be able to offer better specs or is the person still on the
list who makes up systems in which case I would prefer to do business
with them! Thanks.

A consideration I have these days is power efficiency - so for a server, if it's just literally to service files (nfs, samba), then a high power cpu really isn't going to give you anything other than heat - especially if you're on 10/100Mb networking. (and realistically, 2GB of RAM is 4x more than it'll ever sensibly use too although it might add a little with Gb networking)

I've nearly always built servers for my own uses - but at one point it was cheaper to get pre-built systems than build them yourself... However I've just ordered 2 of the following for myself for LAMP and VoIP type servers:

£65.00     http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12231 (mobo & CPU)
£61.00     http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11930 (case)
£23.40     http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11968 (2GB RAM)

Drives - 2 x 500GB

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Hard+Drives/Serial+ATA/500Gb+Western+Digital+SATA2+-+16MB+-+7200RPM+?productId=27026

2 x £39.99

£229.38 + VAT (er, £269.51 or £263.78 after 1st Dec!)

Aria will cost you a few quid for P&P, but Linitx is free P&P. So there's a few quid to be saved if you can be bothered to put it together yourself.

You can save a few watts with a 1GHz VIA miniITX mobo, but they're more expensive!

Not sure how that mobo would fare for your desktop use - although I'm actually using one right now (it's a dual core 1.6GHz Intel Atom with HT, so 4 Tux's at boot time) General desktopy stuff is very good, snappy and fast, but I use FVWM and firefox - I do a bit of image manipulation with GIMP, but no video editing. (or games) Actually, it's an Intel 950 graphcs chipset this board has too and I'm running it at 1280x1024. Stuff like iPlayer and youtube seems to "just work" OK. I'm running Debian Lenny on it. I've switched to the Atom after playing with my wifes Acer Aspire One, and being very impressed with it, and I've bought a couple of Atom mobos so-far.

Gordon