Re: [LUG] Computer Suppliers

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> £65.00    http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12231 (mobo & CPU)

<snip>

Gordon, after reading your post last night it got me thinking a bit more
about my home file/e-mail server which is currently running on a single
core Athlon 1400.  I was looking to upgrade it to a P4 3GHz but after
getting a rather large electricity bill it made me stand up and think
about the Atom.

Do you have any running cost figures for the Atom?

I'm not sure what my current server runs at but I'd assume it's a lot
more than 8 Watts (it has 4 hard drives for starters).  I'm thinking of
maybe replacing the 4 hard drives (which give me about 600GB) with the
750GB drive out of my desktop (which will give me a good reason to clear
out some of the junk I've horded).

Since the dual core Atom has HT, I presume it'll be more than enough for
my needs (my Athlon 1400 server currently runs Ubuntu Server for file
sharing and SME Server on VMWare for my e-mail server).

Hopefully if it's quiet enough (or could be made quiet enough with a
couple of massive fans) it'll pass the wife test so I can move it
downstairs to the lounge too.

Rob