Re: [LUG] Movie DVD reading

I have a problem with Ubuntu 8.10 (it was also the same with 8.4). The
system will auto mount data DVDs, but will not even recognize a regular
film DVD.

I don't mean it won't play it or decode it, won't even notice anything
has been loaded into the DVD drawer. Can't mount it from the command
line as there isn't anything there to mount, although there is a couple
of seconds of flashing green lights from the DVD device.

I have all the codecs I can think of installed, along with dvdread,
libdvdcss and all the rest of the gubbins. But film DVD's don't even get
far enough along to crash and burn!

Any ideas?

Thanks
  Simon

--

Simon

This will sound really rubbish advice but I'm away from my linux machine
currently so can't check anything.

I had a similar problem a while back on my Kubuntu install. I'd gone from
7.x through to 8.04 but had never used the DVD film features. I too had
all the codecs etc installed (via medubuntu)

I turned out that there was a file in /etc which defined the CD/DVD
devices on my computer. They pointed to the devices listed in /dev. During
a previous upgrade (I don't know which one but my feeling is 8.04) this
file had been rewritten - the original text remmed out and duplicated with
a zero ( "0" ) appended to each devices it listed.

Initially, I didn't know about the file in question but had tracked the
problem down to /dev device names. To get around the problem I created a
symlink in /dev to the correct device with the file name changed to add
the "0". When I noticed the problem reoccurred on each reboot (due to the
/dev being updated?) I dug deeper into Google and found out about this
file in /etc where it was all defined.

I remember using Xine to view the DVD and it gave me some useful error
message which I plugged into google. With a few creative searches and a
shovel, I managed to dig into google deep enough the find the solution. I
hope you do...

If you're still stuck let me know, hopefully I'll be nearer my Ubuntu
machine (yes, Ubuntu, not Kubuntu - I re-installed with 8.10 a few weeks
ago to give Gnome a try after a few years of avoiding it)

Martin