[LUG] Movie DVD reading

Hi

I have a problem with Ubuntu 8.10 (it was also the same with 8.4). The
system will auto mount data DVDs, but will not even recognize a regular
film DVD.

I don't mean it won't play it or decode it, won't even notice anything
has been loaded into the DVD drawer. Can't mount it from the command
line as there isn't anything there to mount, although there is a couple
of seconds of flashing green lights from the DVD device.

I have all the codecs I can think of installed, along with dvdread,
libdvdcss and all the rest of the gubbins. But film DVD's don't even get
far enough along to crash and burn!

Any ideas?

Thanks
  Simon