Re: [LUG] Movie DVD reading

> I turned out that there was a file in /etc which defined the CD/DVD
> devices on my computer. They pointed to the devices listed in /dev. During
> a previous upgrade (I don't know which one but my feeling is 8.04) this
> file had been rewritten - the original text remmed out and duplicated with
> a zero ( "0" ) appended to each devices it listed.
>
> Initially, I didn't know about the file in question but had tracked the
> problem down to /dev device names. To get around the problem I created a
> symlink in /dev to the correct device with the file name changed to add
> the "0". When I noticed the problem reoccurred on each reboot (due to the
> /dev being updated?) I dug deeper into Google and found out about this
> file in /etc where it was all defined.
>
> I remember using Xine to view the DVD and it gave me some useful error
> message which I plugged into google. With a few creative searches and a
> shovel, I managed to dig into google deep enough the find the solution. I
> hope you do...
>
> If you're still stuck let me know, hopefully I'll be nearer my Ubuntu
> machine (yes, Ubuntu, not Kubuntu - I re-installed with 8.10 a few weeks
> ago to give Gnome a try after a few years of avoiding it)
>
> Martin

I don't think it can be the device definition, because it'll happily
read data DVD's. These just automount as usual and file manager appears.
With a movie DVD there is nothing to mount!

I just loaded in a SVCD (a CD that behaves like movie DVD and that was
also fine with movie player auto starting etc.

OK I'm bemused. I installed the VLC package earlier this evening and
blow me over if it ain't now recognizing and mounting some DVD's. A few
seconds ago it recognized a movie I converted last year (an *.avi
converted to DVD VIDEO_TS with *.VOB etc files and then burnt using
k3b), but doesn't recognize the new Bond move I converted in the same
way yesterday. Both are on Tesco's Finest DVD-R's.

It ignores a "proper" copy of Dark City, but will mount Gordon Ramsey
explaining how to use a kitchen gizmo (I know this DVD wouldn't mount
yesterday).

I really can't figure out what the difference could be. But at least it
does now recognize some disks. This problem also happens on my Mother's
PC (I de-windowrized her last year), so it must have something to do
with software. But at least I can now install VLC and she'll be able to
see Gordon demo the Bamix!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Simon