Re: [LUG] Server and Computer Networks

2008/11/11 Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> The problem is, if you're using existing
> machines, you won't be able to virtualise the copies of Windows legally
> unless they're retail boxed versions.  Microsoft would consider moving a
> Windows installation from a real machine to a Virtual Machine to be a
> complete new 'computer' which would need a new licence.

Is that definitely true Rob or more a good guess?
Perhaps we could treat it like a motherboard upgrade and a call MS for
a new key or what not. Assuming you still can.

This highlights a BIG problem with proprietary software when you can't
use it as you want once you buy it
Perhaps something to kick up a stink about?

>> Eventually the system will need to run about 8 or 10 pcs connecting to
>> a file server and running an intranet and a client/order database. Is
>> there software available that will run on Linux that will allow
>> multiple connections and provide some sort of client management system
>> please?

Another architecture to think about is thin client (e.g LTSP) though
the need to run Windows apps probably confuses the issue.
X basically doesn't care if the app and display are same or different
machines (what a great design choice was made all those years ago).
Windows doesn't work that way though RDP (e.g TerminalServices,
Citrix) gives the illusion.

--
Steve Lee
Open Source Assistive Technology Software and Accessibility